This is a delicious and healthy dish you can make whenever you don’t want to take the time to slave over a hot stove to make dinner.
Makes: 8 servings
Total Prep Time: 4 hours and 35 minutes
Ingredients for the sauce:
- ½ tsp. of canola oil
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 cup of ketchup
- 2 Tbsp. of apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. of molasses
- 1 Tbsp. of Dijon mustard
- 2 tsp. of Worcestershire sauce
- ½ of a chipotle pepper, seeds removed and minced
- 1 tsp. of adobo sauce
Ingredients for the chicken:
- 2 pounds of chicken thighs, boneless and skinless
- ½ tsp. of salt
- 1 tsp. of canola oil
- ½ tsp. black pepper
Ingredients for the slaw:
- 1/3 cup of plain kefir
- 1 Tbsp. of apple cider vinegar
- 1 ½ tsp. of honey
- 1 tsp. of Dijon mustard
- 1/8 tsp. of salt
- ¼ of green cabbage, sliced
- ¼ of purple cabbage, sliced
- 1 cup of carrot, shredded
- 1/8 tsp. black pepper
- ¼ cup of cilantro, minced
- 4 whole wheat hamburger buns, split open and toasted
- Prepare the sauce. In a saucepan set over medium heat, add in the canola oil. Add in the garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Add in the ketchup, vinegar, molasses, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, pepper and adobo sauce. Stir well to mix. Cook for 5 minutes or until the sauce begins to simmer.
- Prepare the chicken. Season the chicken thighs with a dash of salt and black pepper.
- In a skillet set over medium to high heat, add in the canola oil. Add in the chicken and cook for 3 minutes on each side. Place into a slow cooker.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken and toss to coat. Cover and cook on the lowest setting for 4 hours. Transfer onto a cutting board and shred finely. Place back into the slow cooker and stir gently to coat in the sauce.
- Prepare the slaw. In a bowl, add in the kefir, vinegar, honey, mustard and dash of salt and black pepper. Whisk until smooth in consistency.
- In a bowl, add in the purple and green cabbage, carrot and cilantro. Pour the dressing over the top and toss to coat.
- Place the shredded chicken onto the buns. Top off with ½ cup of the slaw and cover with the top bun. Serve immediately.